Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Andy Andy is offline

Default Counting Unique Records

I have a spreadsheet that includes a long list of reference numbers
(alphanumeric) in column A. These are in a random order and contain
many duplicates. I therefore wish to create a function that will count
the unique numbers for me.

I can do this by using advanced filter or by sorting and adding another
column to count when the reference changes, but do not want to change
the order of the data nor to have something that involves refiltering
every time. Ideally I need a formul;a that will allow an 'idiot user'
to see the count as they dynamically add or delete data.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received