Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Luis Amezcua Luis Amezcua is offline

Default Get bytes from file

How do you specify the string size ?
because with XXX=" "
it will fetch a 10 char string but what if later I want to fetch
a bigger size ? can you specify the size of the string on
declaration ?

Myrna Larson wrote in message . ..
Since you are setting it to a string of 10 characters, it must be a string,
no? So the statement should be

Dim XXX As String 'to fetch the strings
Dim i As Integer 'to fetch the integers

On 12 Oct 2004 18:31:40 -0700, (Luis Amezcua) wrote:

I have been using a trick to get data from a binary file. The trick is
to initialize a variable as follows:

XXX=" "
Get #FileNum, 1, XXX

that gets 10 bytes from the file. I want, however to use the
option explicit
mode but as soon as I declare the variable
Dim XXX
I get a run time error
"Variable uses automation type not supported by visual basic"

but if I do not use the explicit option everything works.

I want to understand how to extract X bytes from the file, becase I
have a
section where I have strings and integers (I know the file format)

TIA