Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Security - Delete File

Copying a file is a Windows activity. It has nothing to do with Excel. You
can just go to windows Explorer and copy the file. If you password protect
it, then at least if they copy it, they can not get into it easily although
there are password cracker programs that can defeat the file password. (but
if they use the file at work, wouldn't they need to know the password?).

You might want to put key information in a database and have the file query
that database to get the information. Set it up so the information is not
stored in the file. Any approach is not going to be foolproof, so what
measures you take would depend on how sensitive the information is.

Perhaps you can put the file on a single stand alone computer and control
access to the computer. If you don't want it copied, controlling access to
the file would be the most robust.

Tom Ogilvy

"Anthony" wrote in message

I have a file created in Excel, and I have been asked to secure it in some
way to stop staff from copying the file and taking it home.

I know I can password it, which is a start but I was wondering if it is
possible to have Excel, using VBA code, look at the machine id and if it
isn't "XYZ" have it delete itself.

I have no idea if this is at all possible as I am not very literate in VBA
Code.

Any Help/Suggesstions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.