Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Is workbook open anywhere in network

You open the workbook and it says "Bob is using this, notify when it's
free?" or something like that.

and when you immediately check the below it behaves as you describe?

"WriteReserved" is set to 'false' also. So I assume that means that
whoever's listed in "WriteReservedBy" does NOT have the reservation.

"WriteReservedBy", but that's listing my current name

I haven't seen anyone come up with anything better, but I might have missed
it.
Tom Ogilvy

"Trevor Gryffyn" wrote in message
Greetings all! Been a while since this thread was updated, but thought
I'd see if anyone got any new information relating to this.

I'm using Excel 2002 and I have a similar issue. I need to append data
to a workbook then send out a notice saying that it's been updated.
Probablem is, sometimes people open it and leave it open overnight so in
the morning when the report tries to run and append the data, the file
is "in use" by another user.

I could do the logging mentioned above and various similar techniques,
but really all I'd like to do is identify who has the file open and send
myself a note saying "Bob has the file open, data not appended".

One of the early suggestions was to look at the "WriteReservedBy", but
that's listing my current name (not username on the network and not the
username or real name of the user who actively has the workbook open).

"WriteReserved" is set to 'false' also. So I assume that means that
whoever's listed in "WriteReservedBy" does NOT have the reservation.

When you open the workbook, it says "Bob is using this, notify when it's
free?" or something like that. So obviously the system knows what
username has it open. But where do I get that data? This should be
really simple, but I've been digging through a watch of "application"
and "Activeworkbook" and such and can't find the username of the user
who has it open currently.

Has anyone found any more information on where to find the username of
the user who currently has the workbook open without doing any of the
logging and such mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. This is driving me nuts
because I know it should be really simple.. the data's just hiding
somewhere.

Thanks and have a great day!

-TG