Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default optimization-selecting a group with constraints

Look in the Examples\Solver subdiretory for solvsamp.xls. This appears to
be a classic linear programming type optimization problem - so solver
(Tools=Solver -- if you don't have that option, install Solver from your
office CD).

On my xl97 version, it is found at:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Examples\Solver

Tom Ogilvy

"chandran19" wrote in message

I have a problem as follows. It is mathematical and can be put in excel
macro

"THERE ARE 3 NO OF ASSEMBLIES EACH REQUIRING SOME COMPONENTS(A,B,C)
AS FOLLOWS(QTY NOS ARE MINIMUM)
FOR EXAMPLE ASSEMBLY1 REQUIRES COMPONENT A FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 NOS
B A MIN OF 3 AND C A MIN OF 10

A B C
ASSEMBLY1 2 3 10
ASSEMBLY2 3 6 2
ASSEMBLY3 1 2 5

These components A,B,C are available in three pcckets as follows

A B C
packet1 4 5 15
packet2 2 5 5
packet3 1 2 5

NOW the requirements AND CONDITIONS is as follows

1.WHEN I OPEN A PACKET FOR EXAMPLE PACKET1 FOR MAKING ASSEMBLY 1
IT CAN SATISFY ASSEMBLY1 BUT THE COMPONENTS ARE IN EXCESS. IN
THAT CASE EITHER PACKET2 OR 3 MAY DO IT WITH LESS WASTAGE OF
COMPONENTS

2.IF NEITHER PACKET 1,2 OR 3 CAN BE SELECTED CAN THE FOLLOWING
GIVE THE MINIMUM WASTAGE

X1*PACKET1+Y1*PACKET2+Z1*PACKET3
X1,Y1,Z1 ARE INTEGERS.

WHAT I MEAN ABOVE IS WILL X QTY OF PACKET1,Y QTY OF PACKET2 AND Z
QTY OF PACKET3 YIELD LESS WASTAGE

I HAVE TRIED THIS IN EXCEL AND SUCCESSFUL FOR CONDITION 1
BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT THIS FOR CONDITION 2

--
chandran19
chandran19's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=261218