Carter Devereaux

Hi trumpy81,

Thanks for providing the kind of in-depth explanation and example I was
looking for.

Carter

"trumpy81" wrote:

Carter Devereaux wrote:
I have a fairly basic question, but nevertheless one that I don't
know the exact answer to and would love help with. What exactly is a
text file?

GDay Carter,

A text file is one that contains written(typed) words.

It can contain any of the characters that you may find on a standard
keyboard, but may not contain any hidden formatting characters, such as
those found in a Microsoft Word document for example.

If you were to look at a text file using a Hex reader, you would see that
each written(typed) letter is represented by a hexadecimal number. To find
which hexadecimal numbers are allowed within a TEXT file, you need to look
at an ASCII (pronounced askey) table.

For Australians, you'll find the ASCII Table in the back of a Dick Smith
catalogue. For others, you'll need to search the net.

Hope that helps?

--
Regards
trumpy81

*** Please remove the `_ spam _' trap before replying to this message ***