Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default Peter Huang, Vasant, Chip Pearson - Close External Application VBA - ZABU

Zabu,

What specific problems are you having? Are you sure that you are
using the correct class name and window name for the call to
FindWindow (use Spy++ to find out the proper values)? Does the
window not respond to the sent messages?

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ZABU" wrote in message
Peter, Vasant or Chip:

I have finally tested the code discussed in prior posts

regarding closing an
external application with VBA Code. I have successfully

executed the "Send
and Wait" command for the "Calc.exe" Test use of API calls and

monitoring.
Once the program is clsoed a message appears, which

communicates that the
program has been closed.

I am currently at the following step and am having diffuculty.

I need to
find a particular window and close the application associated

with the
window after a search and data transfer to excel (this will

occur about 30
times, so this many windows will have to be closed). I have

reviewed the
following code from Chip Pearson (I believe), but am having

difficulty. I
believe that I need to find the specific classname and window

name
associated with the "FindWindowA" function. This is shown in

the code below,
but I cannot get it to execute. Please send any informatin

that may assist
in my efforts. Example code will be very useful! Many thanks

in advance!

Kind Regards,

ZABU

Code located on the Google Groups:

Public Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias

"SendMessageA" _
(ByVal HWnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As

Long, lParam As
Any) As Long
Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias

"FindWindowA" _
(ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String)

As Long

Public Const WM_CLOSE = &H10
Public Const WM_DESTROY = &H2
Public Const WM_NCDESTROY = &H82

Sub CloseWindow()
Dim HWnd As Long
'Dim lpClassName As String
'Dim lpWindowName As String

HWnd = FindWindow("CabinetWclass", "Baytek WinBLISS")
If HWnd 0 Then
SendMessage HWnd, WM_NCDESTROY, 0, 0