Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jake Marx[_3_] Jake Marx[_3_] is offline

Default number vs text format

Hi jeffP,

jeffP wrote:
I actually have columns Cust,Inv,Date. The output cell I want is "
Month End" <date , <cust-inv. You showed me the cust-inv
concatenate. The "month end" constant I got in (if not very
elegantly) by entering it a remote cell and referring to it (is there
a better way?). My problem is that date is formatted as date
(mm/dd/yy) in the original cell and when I refer to it , it comes in
as the underlying numeric.
I.e.: =Text(C1,"000000") shows 38232 instead of the desired 09/02/04.

If you want the month end date for the *current* month, you could use
something like this in your formula:

=TEXT(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())+1,0),"mm/dd/yy")

If you want a different month end, you could substitute the date for each
occurence of TODAY().

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com