View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster

Default Log entries, web entries

Hi. Got a client who wants to add features to his excel file. Hoping someone here could help.

Got a workbook with 400 sheets, one sheet for each widget. On each widget sheet is an area for people to enter maintenance logs.
Logs include a column for the date, description, price, status, an whether it's preventative maintenance Y/N.

Need a couple of things: One, I need to create a summary sheet (400 rows) showing the most recent log entry of each widget. Two, I
need another summary sheet but only showing those widgets those most recent log entry is flagged preventative maintenance.

There's the big thing. The client wants to post this xls file on his web site, in a password protected area. He wants his people
to be able to see an entire widget sheet, but only able to add log entries. He doesn't want anyone to be able to change sheets.
That is, to change exitsing sheets, columns or log entries. Just to add to log rows.

For the web site request, I was thinking. Maybe a static xls file and some sort of standard form the user could email? Maybe I
could write code to read this kind of email and drop the log entry into the correct excel sheet? Or could we create an interactive
xls file where only the next blank row, in the maintenance log area of a sheet, is available for entry?

Any and all advice is appreciated...Dennis