Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default matching dates from imported *.dbf file?

Sounds like your dates from the dbf are being interpreted as Text. assume
the first date is in A2. In any cell put in the formula

=istext(A2)

If it returns true, then this is you problem. Select the column and format
it as a data format. Now do data=TexttoColumns, select delimited and on
the next dialog, make sure the delimiter comma and nothing else (or any
delimiter not in the column). this will cause Excel to reevaluate the dates
and convert them to dates. Your istext formula should then show false.

When you copy and paste the data to another location, Excel probably
converted it to dates, so the problem is exacerbated.

Another way to convert would be to select the column and do

Edit=Replace
what: \
With: \

this assumes the dates have a \ in them.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"jeffP" wrote in message
HI all,
I have a simple WS of 3 columns date,custnum,invnum that has dates over

past
5 years. I simply want to have user input the date desired and get
corresponding data to another WS. I'm sure there are many ways to do this
and I thought I'd try working w/ Advanced filter.
My problem is that I can't get my user input date to match up with

anything
in the imported database date. I tried all kinds of formatting and even
tried copying a cell from the import data and paste it into the user data
cell. It won't match up even with itself!

Could you explain to me what I am missing?

--
jeff