Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Matt - Data Manager - Blue Ridge Telecom[_2_] Matt - Data Manager - Blue Ridge Telecom[_2_] is offline

Default Sorting data and retaining additional information with value, not

After the user right-click, what are you using to determine the name of the
named range?
What if you dont use the named range and use VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP function
instead.
From your post I am assuming the cell your user right-clicked on has a €œkey€
then the macro uses the key to find the associated info from a €œlist€. If you
arrange the €œlist€ with the keys as the 1st column then VLOOKUP function can
easily find the corresponding cells. If you are returning more than one value
base on the €œkey€ then Id use MATCH function instead.

Matt Chen
Blue Ridge Telecom

"Marie" wrote:

Hi

I am working on a project for a client and have a problem. We have a macro
setup so that additional information can be viewed which relates to the data
in the cell (basically, the user can right-click on the cell and one of the
options is to view the additional data). We are linking to the additional
data by using named ranges.

The problem is: When data is sorted, the named range stays will the specific
cell and does not move with the data/value in the cell. The result is
incorrect association between the data and the addtional information that can
be view with the right-click option.

Is there a way to "tag" the value in a cell, so after a sort, the
association remains with the value and not the specific cell? I noticed that
comments move with the value and not the cell - but I have not been
successful with anything I have tried.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marie