Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben[_2_] Gord Dibben[_2_] is offline

Default Make first imported CSV row into column names ?

You cannot change/overwrite the Column headers A, B, C etc.

You can hide them but this also hides row headers.

Best is to Freeze Panes so row 1 with your titles stays in view at
all times..........where you find that command depends upon your
version of Excel.

You don't say so I'll assume 2003 or 2007

2003.............Select A2 then WindowFreeze Panes

2007.............ViewFreeze PanesFreeze Top Row

Gord

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:59:19 -0800 (PST), goldtech
wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to make the column names in the first row replace the
A,B,C... in the excel tabs?

I am importing a CSV with the col names in the 1st row. It would be
nice to be able to make the ABCDE... into the corresponding col names
from the csv first row, then delete the first row as it is not really
data but I guess it could be called meta-data.

Can this be done during the import process, or easily in one swoop
after the import?

OR

Is the best practice to make the first row unchangeable and not part
of the data that can be manipulated in the sheet? - seems that would
serve same purpose as what I'm asking above.

Thanks.