Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
TeeGee TeeGee is offline

Default Is it possible to use a Lookup Table???

Thank you for your help and time. I will try it tomorrow.

"sebastienm" wrote:

Yes you can.
Say you have a table of Buyer info in sheet2!A1:G100, column A containing
the name.
Say you enter a name in sheet1!A1 and want the other pices of info for that
buyer.
B1: = VLOOKUP( $A1 , sheet2!$A$1:$G$100 , 2 , FALSE)
parameters :
-$A1: what to look for
-sheet2!$A$1:$G$100: where to look for. It is the data-table. The function
searches a match in the 1st (only)
-which column of the data-table to be returned, here 2, ie column B.
- how to search: FALSE=Exact Match.
- Things to take into consideration:
- if no match found, the function returns "#N/A"
- most of the time, you'll want to use absolute ref for the data-table
reference ($sign) as in sheet2!$A$1:$G$100
- the lookup returns the first encountered record only.
- you cannot use VLOOKUP to summarize several records as in an SQL SUM()
- a few other thigs i can't think of right now. Look in the xl
Online-Help for more details.

Other functions you may want to look at: LOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH, ...
Now, for summarizing: SUM(), SUMIF(), COUNT, COUNTIF(), SUMPRODUCT() ...
Other excel features for summarizing/reporting: Pivot Table (in menu Data)

Regards,
Sebastien
"TeeGee" wrote:

Is it possible to have Excel "lookup" a value from another table and "fill
in" several cells according to the value found (similar to the lookup table
feature in Access)? E.G. Look up and fill in Buyer's # found in another
table and fill in Buyer's Name, Address, Phone, Etc. accordingly.

I don't want to switch my data to Access if I don't need to.

Desparate . . .