Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Display an Alert popup.

You want to use the Change event, not the selectionchange event:

If Target.Address = "$D$1" And Target.Value = "hello" Then _
MsgBox ("cell selection")
End Sub

The change event does not work in Excel 97 if you are using a from a range.

Tom Ogilvy

"Xluser@work" wrote in message
Thanks Alex.

However, rather than the alert when the user simply goes into the cell, I
want it to display the alert if they choose a particular option from the

list
and to do nothing if they choose any other cell.

Are you able to help with this?

Matthew

"Alex Guardiet" wrote:

Hi,

The code is quite simple, but placing the code in the right place will

be
more complicated if you're not used to VBA. Let's start with the code:

If Target.Address = "$D$1" Then MsgBox ("cell selection")
End Sub

I'm assuming you want the message to appear when the user selects a

specific
cell. You have to replace the "$D$1" bit for the cell that will trigger

the
event. In my example code the event occurs when the user selects cell D1
(replace the D and the 1 but leave the dollar signs in).
Now for the placing of the code: Go to the Visual Basic Editor (Tools
Macros Visual Basic Editor), then select the sheet where you have your

data
(where the event will happen) from the Project window (on the upper

left-hand
side). It is important that you select the correct sheet and that you

double
click to make sure you have selected it. Then simply paste the code. It
should work.

Regards,

Alex

"Xluser@work" wrote:

Please can someone assist with the following?

At present I have a data validation list in Excel (which is working

fine).
However, when a user selects one of the options in the list I need

Excel to
show a popup with a warning message (as this option in the list works
differently to the others). How can I make Excel do this? I can make a

popup
in Excel using datavalidation but since this cell already has this

(for the
list) how can I replicate again?

Any help gratefully received.

TIA.