Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Frank_Hamersley[_3_] Frank_Hamersley[_3_] is offline

Default Is absolute security for Excel VBA code possible?

I have been looking to protect a rather large and useful VBA codebase from
prying eyes.

To date I have been using the standard Excel password protection but the
password crackers zap this in their sleep - only 1:10 secs was required on
an old P166 clunker!

What are the options to really secure the code? I have ruled out (for the
moment) porting it to C++ and then compiling it an .xla. Would porting to
VB provide equivalent protection? Or is there some clever VBA arrangments
that can be made?

Some other ideas I had are...
1. if I could strip (programagically) all the comments just before release
to make any crackers task more tedious,
2. perhaps hex edit the password hash to gobblegook so it can _never_ be
matched by the cracker - would a downside of this be that it stops the VBA
engine from firing?

Cheers, Frank.