Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harald Staff Harald Staff is offline

Default ADO recordset returns -1

Hi Dennis

Recordsets comes with different "cursors". Some let you browse back and
forth, some are "forward only" (faster but no recordcount or moves except
movenext and movelast). It seems that default is forwardonly from what you
report here. Try

rsData.Open sSQL, myConnection, adopenkeyset, adopenreadonly

The speed issue between forwardonly and keyset depends on database brand and
size. For smaller Access apps I don't notice much difference, Oracle
likewise, but SQLserver is annoyingly slow using keyset. My personal
undocumented experiences only.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Dennis" skrev i melding
I have a connection to the Northwind database from
Excel. My queries work find except when I request the
number of records I always get -1. Is there something
I'm missing? Here's a section of my code if this helps:

Thank you in advance, Dennis

*************start code****************

Dim myConnection As String
Dim rsData As ADODB.Recordset

'===================================
'Create a connection to Northwind DB
'===================================
myConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & _
"Data
source=C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoftoffice\" & _
"Office10
\Samples\Northwind.mdb;"

sSQL = "SELECT * FROM Categories"
Set rsData = New ADODB.Recordset