William DeLeo

Unfortunately the fix you suggested leads to another dilema. I have a
data column associated with each date as well. I was trying to divide
up the input sheet information into two parallel sheets, one with site
and date, the second with site and data. Next step is to manipulate
the data and move it to sheets that are used for plotting. But, your
method sorts the data in a similar way that it sorts the dates (say low
to high) so the cells that hold the dates (on OUTPUT-DATES) are not the
same as the associated cell that holds the data (on OUTPUT-DATA)
because the data is sorted low to high as well.

Given that I now have a date/site sheet (OUTPUT-DATES) that is sorted
appropriately, can you think of a way to create a parallel sheet that
stores the data (OUTPUT-DATA) in the same cell that the date was
stored? I can envision using some sort of VLOOKUP procedure with two
steps/criteria ... I have the criteria 1 in "OUTPUT-DATA-column A", and
criteria 2 in "OUTPUT-DATES-each column" to be matched to "INPUT-columns
1 and 2" and to return "INPUT-column3".

Following your methodology, I guess I need to first establish a
temporary 3-column array with all the rows where the sites match. Then
from that array find the single row where the date matches. Then return
the column 3 value of that row. Got more innovative array ideas up your
sleave?

p.s. the best thing I learned from your previous formula is that the
syntax "Import!$A$1:$A$1346=$A1" can be used as a loop type function
for the IF conditional. Cool way of integrating LARGE with column
index as well. Very clever :) Thanks again!

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256