Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim May Jim May is offline

Default Need help w/program to randomly sort row data

With your first block of data on rows 1-3 (without a header)
replace the values 1 2 3 (A1,A2 and A3) with =Row() in A1 and copy down
When you sort sort on Column B -- then Column A will automatically change to
1,2 3 (ascending order).
HTH

"please respondhere" wrote in message
m...
I've got an Excel worksheet with several columns of data. I want to

randomly
shuffle all of the row data and then overwrite column A with sequential
numbers down the column, 1...X, where X is the last row. Any ideas?

Example:

1 B C D
2 G K L
3 D K C

might become

2 G K L
1 B C D
3 D K C

and then with column A renumbered, look like:

1 G K L
2 B C D
3 D K C

I don't know much about Excel at all. How can I develop such a thing.
Furthermore, can this also be done via a command line?

Thanks.