Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Myrna Larson Myrna Larson is offline

Default Conditional Formatting

If you have dates in column A, then the first employee name must be in B1, not
A1. Where are the manager's names? Are they in another row (maybe 3, just
below the employee name?), or do you have a table of employees and managers
somewhere else, so that you would have to use VLOOKUP on the employee name to
get the manager name?

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 05:51:03 -0700, "CDotWin"
wrote:

Thanks that works perfectly!

I was wondering if there was a way I could, instead of applying the
conditional formatting if there are more than 2 cell with the letter p, apply
the conditional formatting based on another range of cells. For example A1
thru L1 contain the names of employees but each manager has a different
number of employees. The letter p stands for personal time off that an
employee took. I only want the comditional formatting to apply to the cells
with the p in it if ten perent or more of one manager's employee takes
Personal time off on one day.

It's kind of like A1:L1 is employee names
A2:A279 are work days of the year
B2:I279 are were the P's are being entered

i guess I'm trying to do a countif statement.

Can you help me either in VB or Excel

Thank you in advance
--CDotWin--

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi CDotWin,

Try:

Sub Tester()
Dim Rng As Range

Set Rng = Range("A1:d10") '<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< CHANGE!
With Rng
.FormatConditions.Delete

.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, _
Formula1:="=AND(" & Rng(1).Address(0, 0) _
& "=""p"",COUNTIF(" & Rng.Row & ":" _
& Rng.Row & ",""=P"")2)"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 19
End With
End Sub

Change the range to suit your requirements.

---
Regards,
Norman

"CDotWin" wrote in message
Hey,

Yes, I would like to do this in VB. What you gave me worked. I'm just

wondering if I can only apply the conditional formatting to the cells that
have the "P" actually in them and not the entire range. I also want to see
if the conditional formatting is true for each row, not really a range of
cells. Each row represents a date and I am trying to see if "P" shows up
more than three times on that date. I hope I'm not confusing you.

Thanks for your help in advance.
--CDotWin--