Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default sort (on part of) string - originally posted under Tricky Sort

Use
=DateValue(Left(cell,8))

in another column and sort on that.

Tom Ogilvy

"Struggling with VBA" wrote in
message ...
I had a look on replies but didn't see what I was looking for.

What I am trying to do is perform a sort based on

a. The user selecting the range
b. The sort being performed on the first few characters of a string (a

date value - in
MM/DD/YY format)

If possible I want to automate this as a right click option but am not

sure if this
will work? Although getting a sort routine working would help and I could

try to figure out myself if I can right click to operate it.

Thanks in advance

The data has (3 columns the middle one being the string containing the

text and date value)