Alex

David

I don't think that what you want to do is possible with straight forward
Excel functions.

I have wriiten some code that will do what you want but is written in VBA
(not sure if you are familiar with this).

Before I post it, would let me know whether you are happy to receive a VBA
based solution. If you are unfamilier with it then there maybe little point
in sending it.

To paraphrase, I have written some code that will enable you to type the
date of the file you wnat into cell A1 of a spreadsheet. Then you press a
button and it will draw in the data you want from that excel file. All this
opertaes without you having to open the excel sheet you wnat the data from.

You would have to amend the code to set the correct filepath for your files
as well as the Excel data range that you wnat to import. Obviously I do not
know those things.

Let me know if you are interested...

Alex

"DavidMunday" wrote:

I have a set of xls files that contain data I would like to import into
another xls sheet, however the file that I need to import from will
depend on a date entered into a cell in the destination file. The
source files are named with the following convention:

Week of 3-22-04.xls

I would like to be able to pull data from a worksheet in that
particular file by putting the date 3/22/04 into my main spreadsheet.

Thanks,
David

--
DavidMunday