Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rob Bovey Rob Bovey is offline

Default byref errors

Hi Ryan,

Better yet, make sure that all of your modules have the Option Explicit
declaration at the top. This way VBA will tell you when you have not
declared a variable. From the Visual Basic Editor choose
Tools/Options/Editor and check the "Require Variable Declaration" checkbox.

By the way, your original problem, caused by using parenthesis around
the function argument when you are not retrieving the return value of the
function, will not be solved by declaring variables properly. You will still
need to either remove the parenthesis or use the return value of the
function.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"Ryan H." wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
I must say, you were right! That worked.

Wow, and this whole problem was from an undeclared variable. From now on,
i'm sure going to declare all my variables ahead of time.

Thanks

"Ivan F Moala" wrote in message
om...
In your

For Each wksheet In myBook.Worksheets

you will need to Dim wksheet as Worksheet
i.e. same as your Foo function declaration.......

"Ryan H." wrote in message

t.cable.rogers.com...
no, Im not using any chart sheets... I changed it from sheets to

worksheets
though to see if it works or not... just tried a bunch of different
combinations... nothing worked...

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
Ryan,

Is it possible that you have chart sheets in the workbook? If
so, wksheet won't be a worksheet. If you have chart sheets, use

For Each wksheet In myBook.Worksheets

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ryan H." wrote in message

et.cable.rogers.com...
I just tried that and I still get a "byref argument type
mismatch", which is
a compile error

Let me just mention that wksheet comes from a for each
statement as follows:
For Each wksheet In myBook.Sheets

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
Ryan,

If you are not taking the return value of the Foo function,
don't
enclose the parameter in parentheses. E.g.,

Foo wksheet

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Ryan H." wrote in message

e.rogers.com...
Hi,

I have a function that accepts the following parameter:

Function Foo(wsheet as Worksheet)
End Function

when I call the function as in the following:

Foo(wksheet)

I get a ByRef error. Why can I send worksheet as a
parameter? I
think it has
something to do with references. The only way I see out of
this
is to make
the variable global, which offcourse is bad. How can this
be
done?

Thanks