Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,sci.math
Kevin O'Neill Kevin O'Neill is offline

Default Excel Math Bug

See my previous post(s).

Kevin O'Neill

"Alan Beban" wrote in message ...
Stephen J. Herschkorn wrote:

Plot the curve y = -x^2.

I can't until someone gives me the convention to determine whether it is
to be interpreted as y=-(x)^2 or y=(-x)^2

Solve the equation -x^2 -18x + 5 = 0.

I can't until someone gives me the convention to determine whether it is
to be interpreted as -(x)^2 -18 + 5 = 0 or (-x)^2 -18x + 5 = 0
. . .

What is the value of -16^(1/4)?

I don't know until someone gives me the convention to determine whether
it is to be interpreted as -(16)^(1/4)) or ((-16)^(1/4))

~~~~~~~ SNIP

Unless the inquiry gets sufficiantly sophisticated, I can usually
resolve "spelling rules" by resort to a decent unabridged dictionary,
like to resolve the correct spelling of "balderdash". If the order of
precedence is so universal, please cite a "universal" authority (i.e.,
the analog of the unabridged dictionary for spelling).

The only individuals
claiming this to be an ambiguity appear to be computer professionals
exclusively.

I'm not a computer professional; in the absence of some persuasive
authority, I find it ambiguous.

Alan Beban