Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,sci.math
Lance Lamboy Lance Lamboy is offline

Default Excel Math Bug

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:27:30 +0000, fred wrote:

BOULDERDASH!!! This is a horrible bug in Excel (whereof I was
previously unaware). It is very standard that exponentiaion takes
precedence over negation. Ask any semi-decent high school student to
draw a graph of y = -x^2, and what will you get?

Thank you sir!

As another poster noted, M.P.E.P is a programming forum, but told that
it violates math convention, they still argue. They probably just
didn't believe me.

Another said "much ado about nothing", but I think this is a horrible
bug too. Excel should at least follow regular math conventions. What
other surprizes await?!

I checked my copy of oocalc. (I don't use M$ products.) Much to my
chagrin it exhibited the same Excel bug.

--
Lance Lamboy

"Go F*ck Yourself" ~ Dick Cheney