Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mick Southam Mick Southam is offline

Default Update Links on file open

Thanks Guys for all your help I'm now sorted.
Regards
Mick

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Ah, but Tom suggested that you put the code into the Workbook_open
procedure--not just in the ThisWorkbook module.

But since it's a template, you could use another argument in the

workbooks.open
statement:

Workbooks.Open Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\book1.xlt",

UpdateLinks:=3, _
editable:=False

The editable:=false works nicely with the template.

And this worked in the Auto_open procedure for me, too.

====
and just for no good reason at all...

since you're in another macro, you can change the setting, open the

workbook,
and change it back. (I wouldn't use this!):

Dim ExistingAskToUpdateLinks As Boolean
With Application
ExistingAskToUpdateLinks = .AskToUpdateLinks
.AskToUpdateLinks = False
Workbooks.Add template:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\book1.xlt"
.AskToUpdateLinks = ExistingAskToUpdateLinks
End With

'ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=false

But something like this could come in handy(???) later on (probably not,
though!).

Mick Southam wrote:

Dave/Tom

Guys I'm sorry about this but I must be missing something here.

I have now put the following in the ThisWorkbook module but still have

the
same problem, but again if I step through it works:

Sub Auto_Open
Workbooks.Open Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path &

("\PS27a(manual).xlt"),
UpdateLinks:=3
'ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False ' rem'ed out for now
End Sub

Regards

Mick

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Put your code in the Workbook_Open event found in the ThisWorkbook

module.

Tom Ogilvy

"Mick Southam" wrote in message
Dave

I have done as you suggested and it works the first time I use it,

but
not
if I open it again from within another macro.

Rather than use a normal file I am using a template as I need a

blank
file
open each time, it will open the template but does not run the Sub
Auto_Open() or at least I think that's what happens. Does this mean

it
need
to be written differently for a template. I have tried using
Workbooks.Add
Template:= instead but when I do UpdateLinks will not work.

Regards

Mick

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get
updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their
workbooks.

If you want more control:
Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the

original
workbook with links updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls",
UpdateLinks:=1
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links will be refreshed.

And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control:
Edit|links|startup prompt button.
check the "don't display the alert and update links"

Mick Southam wrote:

Hi
Can anyone help please, I need to automatically update links as

file
opens
without any user input.

--