Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Alan Alan is offline

Default Excel Math Bug

"fred" wrote in message

Are they rewriting math rules now? ... negation is different from
subtracting? Indeed! Not in any math book I've ever seen.

This is an interesting point.

I guess I tend to view the two things as being separate and different
in nature.

Negation (in the sense that I believe you are using it above) such as
turning +5 into -5 'creates' a new number. The value of that number
is -5.

Subtraction is an operation performed on one value with another.
Therefore, subtracting +5 from a value is a different thing.

I guess where this becomes important is in the example used elsewhere
in this thread of:

=-5^2

It could be argued that it is quite valid for either answer (+25
or -25) to be correct depending on whether we are squaring -5 or
whether we are (implicitly) subtracting 5^2 from (the implicit) 0 that
is not shown.

If we put the zero in:

=0-5^2

then I would suggest that the *only* valid interpretation is that we
are subtracting 5^2 from zero, and thus the answer *must* be -25.

Given that excel must have rules, it does not seem unreasonable for
the algorithms to require an explicit subtraction, else go with the
interpretation that we are squaring -5.

Having said all of that, if we don't bother to use brackets to make
the calculations completely explicit and unambiguous, then I guess we
are each *choosing* to take the risk - whether we know it or not.

Does my thinking sound reasonable?

Alan.