Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mick Southam Mick Southam is offline

Default Update Links on file open

Dave

I have done as you suggested and it works the first time I use it, but not
if I open it again from within another macro.

Rather than use a normal file I am using a template as I need a blank file
open each time, it will open the template but does not run the Sub
Auto_Open() or at least I think that's what happens. Does this mean it need
to be written differently for a template. I have tried using Workbooks.Add
Template:= instead but when I do UpdateLinks will not work.

Regards

Mick

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get

updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their workbooks.

If you want more control:
Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls",

UpdateLinks:=1
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links will be refreshed.

And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control:
Edit|links|startup prompt button.
check the "don't display the alert and update links"

Mick Southam wrote:

Hi
Can anyone help please, I need to automatically update links as a file

opens
without any user input.

--
Kind Regards