Neil Goldwasser

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. My apologies for not being
able to send my thanks earlier - I have been away for a while on a
much-needed break.

I am still curious though as to whether there is a way of writing a macro as
described in my last post. It is the idea of the message box that most
appeals, so that the user is informed of the reason why they cannot change
the "N/A" displayed in cell E1. Some of the staff at my organisation are not
particularly computer literate and I know that I will get several phonecalls
asking why they can only choose "N/A" from the drop-down list if I used the
'dependent listing' method as you have suggested. If I could insert the
message box function, that would answer their queries for me, and it would
avoid me having to explain it several times over.

Again, thanks to everybody who has helped, Neil

" wrote:

I've made an example here on creating dependent listing. This may solve
your problem without using macros ... :
http://www.pvv.org/~nsaa/excel.html#24