Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
David Laub David Laub is offline

Default Can I use a VBA function I write myself in a formula?

Thanks - I'll stop spinning my wheels on that one!!!
"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
Hi
AFAIK you can't use UDFs within Data Validation. Just an Excel
restriction!

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"David Laub" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Here's a bonus question: Thanks to your tip, I can invoke a User

Defined
Function to populate a cell!
What I'd really love to do additionally is invoke a User Defined

function as
part of formula based custom Data Validation - when I try this on a

UDF that
works great as a formula cell value, I get a "can't find named range"
error - i.e. the Data Validation dialog is not understanding that the

name
of my function is a user defined function - I can enter built-in

function
names, or named cells, but (so far) I can't enter a user defined

function

Thanks again

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
Hi
where did you put this code?. It has to go in a standard module

(see
the link I provided to you)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"David Laub" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
When I try this, I get a "Invalid Name' error in Excel - i can

use
built in
function and named cells fine

Is there some sort of subtle scoping/fully qualified name" issue

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
Hi
use a macro like

public function my_function()
my_function=1234
end function

and in a cell type:
=MY_FUNCTION()

See: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"David Laub" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Can I use a VBA function I write myself in a formula? It

appears
be
impossibe...

Thanks