Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Frank abel Frank abel is offline

Default Urgent problem saving a file read only

Hi
I doubt this is possible (prevented by the Operating
System). If a file is opened by another user this can't be
over-written (in addition what should happen for the user
who has opened this file: automatic closing of Excel or
automatic replacing?).

So AFAIK this is not Excel specific but restricted by the
OS
Some ideas for a workaround:
-maybe use a shared Excel file (and live with the
restrictions of this feature)
- use a different type of application (e.g. database)