Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter Beach Peter Beach is offline

Default Rename Files

Hi Niq,

Does something like this get you started?

Sub D()
Dim sName As String
Dim Arr As Variant
Dim sNewName As String

ChDir "c:\temp"

sName = Dir("c:\temp\*.txt")
Do While Len(sName) 0
Arr = Split(sName, ".")
If UBound(Arr) = 1 Then
sNewName = Arr(0) & "XXX.txt"
' Change this obviously!
On Error GoTo NameAlreadyExists
Name sName As sNewName
On Error GoTo 0
End If
RestartPoint:
sName = Dir()
Loop
Exit Sub

NameAlreadyExists:
MsgBox "Cannot rename '" & sName & "' as '" & sNewName & "' already
exists"
Resume RestartPoint
End Sub

Obviously change the filter on the initial Dir call and the renaming rules!

HTH

Peter Beach

"Dominique Feteau" wrote in message
I have a bunch of files that I get scanned and returned to me with generic
names. I need these files renamed according to the name of the client in
each file. What I do is go through each file, before they get scanned,

and
type out the name of each client from each file. I also get a list (in

text
form) of each scanned file inserted into the excel sheet for parity.

Is there a macro that will search for the scanned file in the appropriate
folder according to the list in excel and rename it to client name that I
want to change it to?

I know this is long winded but what i'm looking for a way to rename a ton

of
files as easy and as quickly as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Niq