Jon Peltier

Probably Excel applies an accounting number format. Select the cell, and
go to the Formatting dialog, Number tab, and select Custom. The Type box
on the right says

$#,##0_);[Red]($#,##0)

The "_)" part of the first format string tells Excel to leave a blank
space as wide as a parenthesis after the number so it lines up with a
negative number in parentheses. You can change the format string to

$#,##0

which will butt the number against the right edge of the cell.
Alternatively, you could format the non-dollar-sign cells with this string:

#,##0_);[Red](#,##0)

which leaves the same space to the right of the number.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Carter Devereaux wrote:

How do I align a column of numbers where the first number has a dollar sign?
Like this,
$280
60
50
Total $390

When I try to add the dollar sign, Excel "shifts" the number slightly more
to the left of the other numbers, resulting in a slightly uneven alignment.
Also, I'd like the dollar sign number to align w/ the total amt. What's the
best way to do this?