Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rob van Gelder[_4_] Rob van Gelder[_4_] is offline

Default Calling Rob van Gelder - Help needed with Vlookup Macro again (IT WORKS)

From the Edit menu, Instead of Paste, choose Paste Special | Values

"Ian" wrote in message
Hi Rob
As I have already mentioned, your Macro is now working perfectly, thank

you, but I am
just curious with one thing.

Say I enter a Part Number into Column A, the Part Description is then

returned in Column C,
the Date is returned into Column F, and the Due Date is returned into

Column G.
Now when that Part has been repaired and sent back to the customer, we cut

and paste
the Row of that Part from the "Book In" worksheet, to separate "Delivery

Note" xls files.
Each Delivery Note gets saved as a separate xls file with the Company Name

and Date,
i.e., "CompanyName060704.xls"

Everything is working fine, the "Part Number", "Part Description", "Date

In" and "Due Date"
all paste into the Delivery Note xls files, but I have noticed that when

it pastes the "Part Description",
it actually pastes the Formula, (which then refers back to the PARTNUMBERS

worksheet),
rather than pasting it as Text, (if you see what I mean).
The "Date In" and "Date Due" are pasted as text.
Is there a way to paste the "Part Description" as Text, (i.e., the text

that was looked up, rather
than pasting the actual Formula.
This may be good if we ever need to change the file name of the xls file

that contains the worksheet
"PARTNUMBERS", as the Formula pasted into the Delivery Note spreadsheet

won't be able to
find the file it is referencing, as that file will now have a different

filename.

Cheers
Ian

"Rob van Gelder" wrote in

message
Here's one way:

I've changed your layout a bit. Not that your approach doesn't work,

just
demonstrating a different way to do it.

If Target.Count = 1 And Target.Column = 1 Then
With Range("F" & Target.Row)
.Value = Date
.NumberFormat = "dd mmm yy"
End With

With Range("G" & Target.Row)
.Value = Date + 10
.NumberFormat = "dd mmm yy"
End With

With Range("C" & Target.Row)
.Formula = "=IF($A" & Target.Row & "="""","""",VLOOKUP($A" &
Target.Row & "," & "PARTNUMBERS!$A$2:$B$1000,2,FALSE))"
End With

This newsgroup is for all levels of expertise for excel programming from
beginners to experts.
I know a fair bit about Excel Programming, but I still learn something

new
every day - like that you can use a column letter in the column

parameter of
Cells: Cells(Target.Row, "F") (I never knew that!)

Cheers

"Ian" wrote in message
Thanks for all your input, unfortunately I can't get any of the Macros

to work.
I only started getting into Macros last week as I have always used

Formulas.
I suspect I'm not pasting the Macro into the right place, so would be

grateful
if you could help again.

I have the following Macro that returns the Date that each Part was

Booked In
down in Column F, and it also returns the Due Date down in Column G,
(which is 10 days later than the date the Part was Booked In), as we

work on a
10 day turn around.
So for example, when I enter a Part Number in one Row in Column A, it

returns
"04 Jul 04" in Column F, and it returns "14 Jul 04" in Column G, in

the same Row
for that Part Number.

So the Macro I have is:

If Target.Count = 1 Then
If Target.Column = 1 Then
Cells(Target.Row, "F") = Date
Cells(Target.Row, "F").NumberFormat = "dd mmm yy"

If Target.Count = 1 Then
If Target.Column = 1 Then
Cells(Target.Row, "G") = Date + 10
Cells(Target.Row, "G").NumberFormat = "dd mmm yy"

This Macro may not be perfect but it works well.
So where do I paste your Macros, sorry but I'm new to Macros.

Cecil, I'm not sure why you are using:
With Range("C2")
.AutoFill Range("C2:C1000")

I think this newsgroup is a bit too advanced for me, maybe I should be
in the newsgroup "microsoft.public.excel.newusers".

Thanks once again
Ian