Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] pfsardella@yahoo.com.nospam is offline

Default Close an Internet Explorer browser window

I'm using a variation of this code from a posting by Chip Pearson to
try to close a browser window that I opened. The code works fine when
I use it with Notepad (closes the Notepad window that I opened), but
fails to close the Internet Explorer window (fails to close a browser
that I opened).

FindWindow is retrieving the handle correctly. SendMessage is at
fault. If I substitute PostMessage for SendMessage, then the browser
closes.

Just curious as to why. Any insights?

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...8ecc7fb&rnum=2

Public Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias
"SendMessageA" _
(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, _
ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long

Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA"
_
(ByVal lpClassName As String, _
ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long

Sub CloseCalc()
On Error Resume Next
Dim hWnd As Long
Const WM_CLOSE = &H10
hWnd = FindWindow(vbNullString, "Calculator")
If hWnd 0 Then
SendMessage hWnd, WM_CLOSE, 0&, 0&

Many thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Paul