Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
William[_2_] William[_2_] is offline

Default Impossible Date Formatting Requested?

Apologies

You're right.

As far as I know, but I could well be wrong, I don't think you can "wrap" a
number in Excel. As a date is a number, you will not be able to wrap any
result in the cell unless it is text.

--
XL2002
Regards

William

"James Cox" wrote in message
| Well, it's obvious that I'm not "The Great Communicator" : (
|
| The part about my not getting to set the contents of the cell was
definitely
| not expressed clearly (if at all) in my original post but the reqirement
| that Excel still consider the result as a date I thought was pretty well
| stated -
|
| <snip
| doing a date-to-text conversion and then using line wrap formatting of the
| cell would "work" - EXCEPT that the date has to stay an Excel date,
| not a text string.
| <snip
|
| Sorry for any misunderstandings - I'm not trying to offend anyone!
|
| James
|
| "William" wrote in message
| James
|
| Your original post required a cell to be split showing the date and
time.
| My
| post attempted to address that issue. Are you now saying there are
further
| requirements? If so, please post them.
|
| --
| XL2002
| Regards
|
| William
|

| "James Cox" wrote in message
| | William -
| |
| | That looked like it had promise, but I don't get the option to set the
| cell
| | contents - just to format what's already there.
| |
| | Also, a check on what Excel thinks is in the cell - using the
following
| in
| | the VBA editor's Immediate pane
| |
| | ?isdate(range("a1").Value)
| |
| | gives a value of "False" so it's no longer a date that Excel can
use...
| |
| | Thanks for giving it a shot!
| |
| | James
| |
| |
| | "William" wrote in message
| | Hi James
| |
| | Sub DateAndTime()
| | Range("A1") = Format(Now, "dd mmm yy") & _
| | Chr(10) & Format(Now, "hh mm ss")
| | End Sub
| |
| |
| | --
| | XL2002
| | Regards
| |
| | William
| |
| |

| |
| | "James Cox" wrote in message
| | | Dontcha just love users? : )
| | |
| | | I've got one that wants to display Excel dates in
| | |
| | | 03-Jul-04 09:14:22
| | |
| | | format, but wants the date and time "stacked" in a single cell, as
| in
| | |
| | | 03-Jul-04
| | | 09:14:22
| | |
| | | doing a date-to-text conversion and then using line wrap
formatting
| on
| | the
| | | cell would "work" - EXCEPT that the date has to stay an Excel
date,
| not
| | | text string.
| | |
| | | Given Excel's "feature" of displaying dates as ######'s if the
cell
| is
| | not
| | | wide enough, I can't get any leverage on a way to do what he
wants.
| | had
| | | thought that the ability to embed text into date (and number
| formats)
| | might
| | | be a way to do this, but I can't find a way to get an active CR-LF
| | between
| | | the halves of the datetime.
| | |
| | | Anyone have any additional ideas on how to do this?
| | |
| | | James
| | |
| | |