Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Referencing a Named Cell Range in another Workbook

Frank,

Interesting that. I have never tried it myself.

One problem with it is that it doesn't work if the name doesn't already
exist. I use this myself

ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="UserTotal2", RefersTo:="=$A$1"

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Frank & Pam Hayes" wrote in message
Thanks Bob,

Your suggestion worked. In addition, it allowed me to set the value in

the
Named Cell by using

Evaluate(Workbook1.Names("UserTotal").RefersTo) = 500

Thanks,

Frank

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Frank,

I guess this is because the range is a property of woeksheets, not
workbooks.

You could try

Evaluate(Workbook1.Names("UserTotal").RefersTo)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Frank & Pam Hayes" wrote in message
I have a VBA application (in Workbook2) that reads and changes

information
in a Named Cell in a user's Workbook (WorkBook1). The name

"UserTotal"
has
been Insert/Name/Define defined in Workbook1 as =Sheet1!$A$1.

The VBA code works fine whey I explicitly reference the sheet name in
Workbook1 that the Name is defined as, but does not work if I only

refer
Workbook 2. Since different users may have defined "MyTotal" on

different
sheets, is there a way of referring to the Named Cell without being

explicit
as to what cell it is on, something like:

MyValue = Workbook1.Range(UserTotal).value
instead of
MyValue = Workbook1.Sheet1.Range(UserTotal).value

or lacking that, is there a simple way of setting another variable

equal
the Wookbook.Worksheet name that a variable is defined as in a way

that
can use that in th code line above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,