Biff

Hi!

Here's a formula aternative to a pivot table.

Assume that on the Input Sheet the names are in column A, A1:A20 and the
dates are in column B, B1:B20.

On the Output sheet you have the list of unique names listed in column A,
A1:An

Enter this formula in cell B1 as an array using the key combo of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=IF(ISERROR(LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20=$A1,Sheet1! $B$1:$B$20),COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20,$A1)-(COLUMN(A:A)-1))),"",LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20=$A1,Sheet1!$B$1 :$B$20),COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20,$A1)-(COLUMN(A:A)-1)))

Copy down to the end of the list in column A, then across until you get a
solid column of blank cells (meaning the data has been exhausted).

This will extract the dates in ascending order. If you want the dates in
descending order, in the formula change LARGE to SMALL.

Biff

"William DeLeo"
wrote in message
news:William.DeLeo.1r5cuk_1119643525.534@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Lets say I have an Input Sheet with a list of names and dates. For each
name, there may exist multiple dates (i.e. the names may be listed
multiple times each with a different date).

I established an Output Sheet with all the possible names in the list
(Output column 1). For each unique name (row), I need to pull all
dates associated with that name from the Input Sheet list and fill the
adjacent columns.

I need some sort of VLOOKUP-array thing where all fields matching the
criteria are returned to a range of cells.

When I do it manually, I use the auto-filter and copy and paste from
the filtered list. I need to avoid using macros for this task if at
all possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

--