Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed[_18_] Ed[_18_] is offline

Default macros and file security

Kenny -

These two Knowledge Base articles on VeryHidden might help you.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...=xlw#appliesto
http://support.microsoft.com/default...92&Product=xlw

Ed

"N E Body" wrote in message
Thanks Ed

I wish I had received this post earlier - I have messed about all day and
arrived at the same result!

I dont know what this VeryHidden is that everyone keeps suggesting. I

hide
the sheets on closing and password protect the workbook. Because you

cannot
have all sheets hidden I left a blank sheet. An auto open macro

unprotects
the workbook and makes the sheets visible. If the file is opened without
running macros and the workbook remains protected.

My blank sheet now has a "turn on macros" message - thanks Ed.

Regards
Kenny

"Ed" wrote in message
One method of making sure macros are turned on is:
* Create a new worksheet. Place a large block of text on this sheet
explaining that the user must have macros turned on to use the file.
* Set the data pages of the file to VeryHidden, leaving only the text

block
visible to the user.
* Set an AutoOpen macro that sets the opening page to VeryHidden, sets

the
data pages to Visible, and opens the UserForm.

HTH
Ed

"N E Body" wrote in message
Hi everyone

Just when I thought I had completed my latest project I find I have

fallen
foul to the simplest of things!
I have created an Excel database <because our PCs dont have Access.

denied access to the speadsheet by using a userform on opening and

blocking
all methods of getting past the form to the sheet behind. All entries

are
via the userform. When the userform is closed the application closes!
Access to the sheet is via a textbox which requires a password.

All was working fine until I discovered if you alter Excels macro

security
settings to prompt wether you want to disable macros anyone can access

the
sheet simply by turning macros off when prompted during file opening.

Is there any way round this? If I set everyones macro security to low

they
will still be able to get in by resetting the security level.
Is there any code I could put into the sheet to alter the setting or

check
the setting and stop the file opening if the macros are to be

disabled?

Thanks in advance

Kenny
Win 2000 Office 97 and 2000