Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jamie Collins Jamie Collins is offline

Default How to copy entire row fm an xls file to another xls file?

"K.K." wrote:

I have an app in VB6 that will open an excel file, validate then
process the data, if the validation is failed for a record, I want to
copy (append) that record (entire row) from the original data
worksheet to an exisiting xls file ?

I think I prbably can use ADO connection to get the record but Do you
think using an ADO connection would Not be better?
Or there is another way to do it?

keepITcool wrote ...

if it's just excel data you're transferring i'd never
use ado but stick to 'pure' excel.

(probably faster
easier coding
less overhead
and less chance of memory leaking and strange lockups)

If the OP can do 'validation' in the WHERE clause of a SELECT query,
then using ADO will be:

- faster
- easier coding

If you are getting memory leaks and strange lockups when using ADO
with Excel, then you are doing it wrong :-)

And I don't know what is meant by 'less overhead' but automating Excel
from another app just to retrieve data is a lot of overhead compared
with using ADO (ask any ASP programmer).

Jamie.