Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charles Williams Charles Williams is offline

Default excel calculations

for circular reference calculations Excel calculates left to right, and then
top-to-bottom (except for multi-cell array formulae which are treated as a
separate block).

You can use the CalcTrace functions from my downloads page to trace
calculation sequence.

regards
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
The Excel Calculation Site.
www.DecisionModels.com

"Jacques" wrote in message
Is there a way to have a window which acts like VB
debugger, but shows each step that excel is performing.
As in the case of circular reference calculations, one
could watch in the order at which excel computes each
cell. So if you have Cells A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, and A1 is
used to compute A2-5, and A2 is used to calculate A1, A3-
5, and so forth through A5 used to calculate A1-4. I have
tried to repeat the calculation long hand 10 different
ways and can not come up with the same information. It
would be beneficial to see how excel starts each and
completes each computation and which order. It could be
used to write more indepth macro's and such.