Dave Peterson

If I have a bunch of cells that look like this:

062005 (for June of 2005)

and I sort by that column, I get the months grouped together. I'm surprised you
don't. Maybe you could post the dates that cause the formula and sort to fail.

brewisc13 wrote:

I want to sort my range of dates by month....we have a range of birthdays and
we want to group all of the January birthdays together, Feb birthdays, etc.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

=text(a1,"mmyyyy")

Sorts by years.

I see 062005 in that cell if A1 contains today's date.

I used the mnemonics for USA/English for month and year. If you're not using an
English version of excel, you'll have to use your language's abbreviations.

If you're not sure, post what language you're using.

brewisc13 wrote:

It sorts by Year.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Another option...

Use a helper cell with this formula:

=text(a1,"mmyyyy")

And fill down.

brewisc13 wrote:

One more question: We have a range of birthdates, even when you format it to
mmm, you cant sort by month. We want to find out the people in the ragne whos
birthday falls in a given month.

"brewisc13" wrote:

THANK YOU! That worked great!

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

You could use a helper column, with something like = A2. Format this
(Format - Cells - Number - Custom: mmm. Now you can use Data - Subtotals,
"At each change in: Month" and "Use function: Count."
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/

"Brewisc13" wrote in message
We are trying to find out how many birthdays fall with in a given month
using
excel.

--

Dave Peterson