Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
BillT BillT is offline

Default Saving Absolute Hyperlinks

My Excel file sits on server A.

If I make a link to a file/directory on server B by browsing to select the server and file/directory, the link initially appears as a relative link, like
...\..\..\serverB\Lots\D74854
, and I can not make a connection to it.
If instead I edit that link to be an absolute link, like
file:\\serverB\Lots\D74854
then I can make connection to it. HOWEVER, once I 'Save' the excel file and re-open it, the link again appears as a relative link:
...\..\..\serverB\Lots\D74854

When making links to files/directories on the same server as my excel file, this problem doesn't appear (evidently because the relative links are fine within a server). However, I'll probably want to make even these links absolute, so that I can move my Excel file at some later time, and still have ALL my links work.

"David McRitchie" wrote:

what do you see
Example
Example
and where used
and how created
---
HTH,

"BillT" wrote in message ...
I make an absolute hyperlink (full path). When I 'Save',
it reverts to a relative hyperlink. How do I avoid this?