Bob Phillips

Steve,

You can use something like

=SUM(IF(MONTH(A1:A20)=1, B1:B20))

which is an array formula so commit with Ctrl-Shft-Enter. Or

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A1:A20)=1),B1:B20)

which is not

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Steve o" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out how I can return all values in a column using a
term in quotations. Basically, the column is date. I want to return

values
that fall within a certain month. I am typing in =if(c2:c6421="01/*",
sumif(......),0) to get the values that fall within january, it seems

right
to me but is returning an error. Can you type in a range that is equal to

term in quotations? I don't see why not, but I get an error everytime,

even
when I run a more simple test. Any suggestions would be greatly

appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Steve Root