Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default really hard cell fomating question, sorry if wrong forum.

maybe some ideas here at Chip Pearson's site:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

Tom Ogilvy

"kevinnemrava" wrote in message
Hello every one, my nameis kevin nemrava, I am working on
an excel program to do some surveying calulation.

The eq's and sofware stuff are all fine, but to make it
look right I need to format the cell to look right, but
can't find anything in the built in help, .. or online
that tells me how to display the cells the way I want.

in surveying we don't use decimall degrees mins and
seconds. or DMS for short, same as latitude and longitue.

how ever to type this in you type itin a decimal. for
example 35.4532 is: 35 deg 45 min and 32 sec. or: 35d
45m 32s

I already used "mid" function to strip the parts and
convet it to decimal degreee then radian to do all the
trig calcs.

what I need to to display them in excel as :
35d 45m 32s
35 45 32
35decimal ....

any thing like that.
one thing to keep in mind is taht the first set can have
1 2 or 3 number, but will always end in a . the second
set of number will have 2 each.

any thoughs guys?

you can contact me at if you want,
but might be best to post on the board in case someone
else wants to do this.

thanks.
Kevin Nemrava