Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
StargateFan[_3_] StargateFan[_3_] is offline

Default "=ROW()-1" type of coding doesn't appear in a filter / is there coding that does?

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:19:53 -0400, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @
consumer dot org wrote:

Stargate,

=IF(B2<"",SUBTOTAL(2,$B$2:B2),"")

I was stumped on the equal sign. I had a hunch it might be as easy as
taking that out but wasn't sure. I'll give this a try.

Thanks!

(p.s., posting at home again! Hope it's not too confusing. I posted
earlier at work through Google.)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Jones" wrote in message
. com...
"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org wrote in message

Stargate,

The technique worked for me for thousands of rows. Try forcing a full
recalc (Ctrl-Alt-F9) - beyond that: perhaps your computer was unstable,

or
the Excel workbook was corrupt, or you accidentally pasted values rather
than formulas.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

<ROFL Oh, this is tooooo funny!! This time it was #69 that kept
repeating. But since the error result changed, I could easily figure
out what was wrong! <g

Guess where the entries stopped????

Yes! Row 69 is the last row to have data in the cells other than in
the number column!

Phew! I was wondering what was happening. Naturally, the
force-recalc didn't work here as it's not really a glitch. This
formula, then, doesn't work properly until data has been entered. The
instant I put something in the second column in the next row, the
preceding number column changes to the right number in sequence. I
tested this for the few remaining rows on that page and the formula
adjusted properly each time.

So ...

Here's what needs fixing - how to keep the cells in the number
column, with this special formula in it, blank until such a time as
one enters info in the rest of the row anywhere? Then I can protect
the sheet and lock the row number column.

Anyway, I use a basic formula when I need to make cells "invisible"
until there is input. I use this as a basic starting point:
=IF(C7<"",E7/7,"")
Naturally, I change cell references and formula.

I tried to use this type of thing in this situation but must admit
that I don't have a clue on integrating the formula
=SUBTOTAL(2,$B$2:B2) with an if statement of this kind. If you know
how, can you pls advise?

With that done, then this will be a breeze and should work perfectly.
<fingers crossed

Thanks so much!

[snip]