Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harlan Grove[_5_] Harlan Grove[_5_] is offline

Default SUBSTITUTE using arrays?

"alpo <" wrote...
Specifically, I have a ton of addresses. I want to edit out the useless
and repetative words like RD, LANE, PKWY, NORTH, SOUTH, NW, AVE.,
etc... and basically be left with "123 Maple 405" instead of "123 SW
Maple APT # 405".

Unless your addresses are all from locations in very small towns (unlikely if
you have appartments with units numbered 405 and/or streets qualified with SW),
stripping off 'useless' words is extraordinarily dangerous unless you really do
want to chance a pretty thorough data screw up. Where I live there are different
streets names Oak Road, Oak Street, Oak Lane, Oak Court and Oak Circle. There
are also numbered streets running from 2nd Street to 63rd Street from the center
of the city going north, East 8th Street through East 38th Street from south of
the center of the city going east and 1st Avenue through 107th Avenue heading
south. These are all separate streets, and between them 14th Street, East 14th
Street and 14th Avenue run through most of the city's zip codes. Are these
qualifiers 'useless'?

What do you believe you're going to accomplish by deleting these qualifiers?

It's nice to know, though, that there are so many helpful souls ready to show
you how to destroy your data integrity.

--
To top-post is human, to bottom-post and snip is sublime.