Default data validation lists

Hi,
I am trying to use data validation lists.... with a small twist.
For simple validations, I have no trouble creating the list, or setting
up the validation because that's pretty standard. Right now, though, I
want to do something a little nonstandard.

I have a validation list that consists of a code and a description.
So, for a list of states I would fill the validation list with stuff
like 'NY New York' where 'NY' is the state code, and 'New York' is a
description of what the code means.

I create a validation list with all the state codes and their full
names, and everything is fine. When the user clicks on the pull down
list they see a list of states and their names.

But, when the pull down is NOT ACTIVE, I want the cell to show only the
state code (NY) and not the complete contents of the validation list
(NY New York).

Seems like it should be possible, but I'm definitely not an excel
expert, so this is something I haven't figured out yet. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Brad