Mike

Try using the vlookup and "isna" functions in the custom validation.
Something like:

=isna(vlookup(a10,a$1:a9,1,false))=true.

this will try to lookup the newly entered value in the cells above, and if
it doesn't find it above, it will allow entry, if there is a duplicate above,
it will alert

Good luck
--
Mike L

"andrewm" wrote:

Hi - I am using data validation list to create a list. I would like to
in the same cells use data validation custom with countif to limit
duplicates. what can I do. I do not really want to use vba if I don't
have to.any suggestions and can someone point to me to the right
direction

andrewm

--
andrewm