Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dick Kusleika[_3_] Dick Kusleika[_3_] is offline

Default When do you need .Value?

I didn't expect to trigger a discussion of semantics. I was thinking of

OOP in
general: Anything that has a property is an object, even if that thing is
itself a property of another object. If the Cells property returns a

Range
object whose default property is Value, then Cells is as good as an object
whose default property is also Value. If that's not the terminology

Excel's
object model uses, I apologize profusely.

No need to apologize. It's my terminology that's wrong. I was doubting
myself even writing that, but seemed to make sense at the time. I'm sure
the original poster doesn't care about this semantical stuff, but I like it.
I'm already changing my thinking because of this thread. I just don't know
to whay yet.

Omitting the default property MAY be more efficient because parsing is
processing intensive, and a look-up is, well, just a look-up. I have no

hard
evidence for this, and I'm not going to spend time testing the theory, but

it
seems that whenever one can omit source code from an Excel macro, one MAY

be
reducing run time. I, too, always include each default property, if only

for
the sake of documentation.

It appears you're right, based on Tim's post. That' really surprising to
me.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel