Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron de Bruin Ron de Bruin is offline

Default Copy & Paste Hyperlink address into cell

Hi Ron (nice name)

You have the answer from Frank and David I see.
If you need help post back.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Ron van Oijen" wrote in message i.nl...
Hi David,

Wow! You seem to be a real VBA-expert when looking at your pages at
mvps.org. There seems so much that is covered on these pages. I'm quite
familiar with using Excel when it comes down to using the built-in
functionality or building macros using the macro-recorder, but I've never
moved beyond that phase. But the last several months I've had several
occasions where I thought that perhaps I should start mastering Visual Basic
for extending the functionality of the program. For the most part this
happened when I had to design some very simple macros or VBA program code
when using MS Access for designing databases. I do have some basic notion of
subroutines and functions, but I'm not really familiar with the use and
functionality of reserved words and such. So I'm very much aware of the fact
that I'm using Excel and Access on a rather basic level. I hope your Excel
pages will give me the jump-start that I need to move beyond that barrier.

The MS Office version that I use is the Dutch version, so translation of
function names or reserved words will be an issue.Can you tell me how I can
contact Ron de Bruin, if I need to?

Thanks again for the support!

Ron van Oijen
Groningen, The Netherlands

"David McRitchie" schreef in bericht
Hi Ron,
You posted in programming so I assumed you are familiar with both
Subroutines and Functions. If not see my pages
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/install.htm

Macros and Functions are installed in the same manner.

For user defined functions (UDF) , you have to include the workbook
name if they are not in the same workbook.

Macros can be used from the same workbook or from any open
(but hidden) workbook, without specifically including the workbook
name that the macro resides in.

You should be able to use a macro or function supplied for your
request whether you understand it or not. Unless you have
to translate the names of the functions. I'll copy this to
Ron de Bruin in case that is a possible problem.

There are some references to VBA tutorials on my page
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#vbtutorials

Original question for this thread was posted 4hours 42 minutes
before this reply. (for Ron de Bruin's benefit)
---
HTH,

"Ron van Oijen" wrote in message

i.nl...
Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid that I'm still very new to Visual
Basic programming, so I think it's about time for me to start looking

around
for some good introductory book on the subject. I have looked up the
internet site that you mention, and there I found your Visual Basic
function, where it is called "Function to show hyperlink URL used in

another
cell (#URL)" / "Hyperlink Address (#Hyperlinkaddress)". This sounds

great to
me, a function that will render the hyperlink visible seems to be

exactly
what I need. But the code itself still looks a bit like abacadabra to me

and
because I suspect I shall have to adjust the generic code to my specific
situation, I think I shall take a look around in the library.

Thanks again,
Ron,
Groningen, The Netherlands.

"David McRitchie" schreef in bericht
Hi Ron,

Function HyperlinkAddress(cell)
On Error Resume Next
HyperlinkAddress = cell.Hyperlinks(1).Address
if hyperlinkaddress = 0 then hyperlinkaddress = ""
End Function

usage:
=HyperlinkAddress(A2)
=personal.xls!hyperlinkaddress('links sheet'!A2)

so you might use continuing from Frank's example, something like

=MID(personal.xls!hyperlinkaddress(A2),FIND("=")+1 ,20)
or
=IF(personal.xls!hyperlinkaddress(A2)="", "",
personal.xls!hyperlinkaddress('links sheet'!A2))

More information on Hyperlinks on
Build Table of Contents, similar listings, working with Hyperlinks
---
HTH,

"Ron van Oijen" wrote ...
Perhaps I haven't stated the problem as clearly as I should have

done.
The
artist name is the only text that is visible in the cell. The

hyperlink
is
attached to the artist name, but invisible. It becomes only visible

when